Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Entry #3 - El Taco H tacos

Yeah, yeah, I know my last entry was about tacos. This blog will likely end up being heavily weighted (pun intended) toward Mexican food since it is my favorite. But these are tacos of a different variety. They are... tacqueria tacos. You get these at a place where English is a second language.

I knew that I would eventually be writing about El Taco H in Grapevine. Their food is really good. Everything I have had off the menu has been really good. Usually, I just keep it real simple and roll with three tacos. One carne(steak), one pollo(chicken), and one desebrada(brisket). $1.00 each will get you a double layered homemade soft corn tortilla meat holder and a big scoop of the meat of your choice. Sometimes I get tea, sometimes I get a green Jarritos drink. I don't know what flavor it is, but it is tasty, and all my non-English speaking friends are drinking it, so I will too. At the condiment bar you can pick up your choice of salsas, onions, cilantro, etc.

Today was a little different, though, which is what is spurring me on to log this one.

Today I met my good friend, Tim Harris, there for lunch. It meant alot to me that he would come out to meet me since it was 29 degrees and raining out. Tim, being the salesman he is, sold me on trying a dang quesadilla. I opted for the desebrada version. It was real good. Real simple and real good.

What else was real good was sitting at the table with Tim. First I got him with the "thumbs up" right as he was approaching the table, so he had to talk to God about our food for the both of us. That's when things began to pick up a little. No sooner had Tim amened us out of prayer time, he picked up chip #1, dipped it in the small bowl of queso, and began to transport the two to his mouth for processing when half of the cheese dropped straight to his shirt. Not that that is all that funny. But it is consistent for Tim and THAT is funny.

What is not funny is that my friend Tim has been affected by these nearly unprecedented economic times. Over a month ago, he got laid off from his job as a salesman. Pretty tough situation. He is looking for a job all day nearly every day now. In fact today after we ate he was going to take a test for a potential part-time job with the Census Bureau. One that would bring home a little extra dough.

I thought I would help him with a little role play. It went something like this:

(knock, knock)
D: Hello
T: How many people live in your house?
D: 4.
T: Thank you.

(moving on to the next house)
(knock, knock)
D: Hello
T: How many people live in your house?
D: 4.
T: Thank you.

(walking to next house.)
T: ok, 4 and 4 is 8. 8. Remember, 8.
(knock, knock)
D: Hello
T: How many people live in your house?
D: 4.
T: Thank you.

(walking to next house.)
T: ok, three 4's is 12. 12. Remember, 12.
(knock, knock)
D: Hello
T: How many people live in your house?
D: 3.
T: Thank you.

(walking to next house.)
T: ok, three 4's is 12. 12 and 3 is 15. Remember, 15.
(knock, knock)
D: Hello
....



If you can help my friend Tim find a job, he won't have to have these kinds of lunches with me anymore. Please help him if you can. He's a good'un.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post! I read it out loud to Jourdan and we had ourselves a good giggly time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Heavy D. I laughed, I cried, I "Shouted" my stain out when I got home.
    I am now an official follower.
    Oh, and thanks for putting out the good word on me looking for work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derek, you are good. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete